Akwesasne Employment Resource Center
611 State Route 37
Akwesasne, NY 13665
Ironworker Apprentice Recruitment
Mar 22 - May 24 START: 12:00 PM ENDS: 5:00 PM
The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for Ironworkers, Local Union #40 & #361, will conduct a recruitment from March 22, 2018 through May 24, 2018 for 100 ironworker (outside) apprentices, The New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Please note that the 100 openings listed for apprentices represent the total number for two recruitment regions: The Long Island and New York City regions.
Applications must be obtained in person at Local Union #40 & #361, 35-23 36th Street, Astoria, NY, from 12:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. every Thursday, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period. Applicants must present proof of high school diploma at time of application.
A $25.00 testing fee will be required at the time of pick up (Money Order only - payable to Ironworkers LU #40 & #361). Please note, you may request that this fee be waived. Fee waivers will be approved upon showing verifiable proof of financial need. Failure to appear for a test will result in disqualification and forfeiture of the filing fee.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old. Proof will be required.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent. Proof will be required at the time of application.
- Must take and pass the Ironworkers’ written aptitude test.
- Must be able to follow written directions.
- Must submit to a drug test, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must be physically able to perform the work of an ironworker.
- Must take and pass a physical test, which includes:
- Climbing up a 35-foot column in less than 40 seconds and safely climbing back down.
- Climbing a ladder 20 feet up onto a 5.5-inch-wide beam and walking on top of that beam for 20 feet, turning around and returning to the ladder. Climbing four feet down the ladder onto a platform and pulling up a bucket that weighs 75 pounds. Lowering the bucket back to the ground, pulling it up, and lowering it to the ground again. Climbing back down the ladder. This must be completed in less than three and a half minutes.
- Raising and lowering 2,000 pounds of steel 40 inches into the air with a chain fall in less than two minutes and 15 seconds.
- Carrying a 45-pound tool up and down a staircase, three times, in less than one minute and 30 seconds.