- Armed Forces, Law Enforcement & Legal
- Business, Office & Project Management
- Childcare & Social Services
- Construction, Farm & Trades
- Contract & Temporary
- Customer Service
- Economic Development
- Education & Training
- Employment Referrals
- Environmental & Science
- Fitness & Healthcare Services
- Food/Beverage & Hospitality
- Inspector, Officer & Research
- Internships & Student Opportunities
- Manufacturing & Warehousing
- Volunteer Opportunities
Akwesasne Employment Resource Center
18 Eagle Drive
Akwesasne, NY 13655
Prevention Educator (1) Full-Time Permanent (1) Full-Time Term
Open Until Filled
Employer: Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
Type: Fitness & Healthcare Services
Job Code: 21-1011 Status: Full-time/Term-September 29, 2022
Exempt: No Location: SRM Health Services
Department: A/CDP Prevention Reports To: Prevention Education Supervisor
SUMMARY: The Prevention Educator is under the supervision of the Program Coordinator and is responsible to employ a variety of Prevention strategies to engage youth, schools and community:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Be willing to become familiar with the Strategic Prevention Framework and the OASAS Prevention Framework.
- Collaborate with local school administrators and teachers to coordinate prevention services-curriculum scheduling, teacher evaluations, reviewing program, assist administering surveys, incentive programs and support groups.
- Present evidence based, model programs such as “Too Good for Drugs” to appropriate age levels in local schools.
- Increase knowledge of substance use and addiction issues and decrease favorable attitudes of ATOD by providing lectures, distributing literature to schools, community members and employees.
- Promote school wide and community awareness activities that coincide with various substance abuse national/state awareness weeks/ months.
- Coordinate media campaigns to promote Prevention initiatives and strengthen social norm change thru radio, billboards, flyers and newspaper.
- Organize/Assist and implement monthly/summer/cultural prevention activities for youth in the community.
- Facilitate Adolescent Education Program and complete all necessary reports and paperwork in a timely manner.
- Maintain accurate and up to date reports and information as required for the data systems OASAS- WYTNYS and IHS-RPMS programs.
- Identify and coordinate with existing programs for youth in the community.
- Continued education to obtain, advance, and/or maintain level of credential.
- Work in a team based setting and help new staff and interns develop and implement skills needed.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no supervisor requirements for this position.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Due to the sensitive nature of information maintained within the office, must maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or GED equivalent, experience in the field of alcoholism/chemical dependency preferred. Must have a thorough understanding of the disease concept of alcoholism, and how the disease affects the family and Native American communities in general. Must have two years of sobriety for a recovering person. Must not abuse alcohol and/or any other drug for a non-recovering person.
If certified through New York State OASAS, must maintain certification. If not certified, must work towards certification in an appropriate time frame, and maintain certification.
Other Skills and Abilities: Strong listening, interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills. Knowledge of computers, preferred. Must be able to interact with all age groups, be sensitive to different developmental stages of youth, adapt to various work settings, and be able to work flexible hours. Work in a team based setting.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or schedule form.
Must be at least 18 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check prior to employment.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal Council is the duly elected and recognized government of the Mohawk people. Both New York State and the United States deal exclusively with the Tribal Council Chiefs in a government-to-government relationship.